Thursday, December 3, 2009

Back to the Hospital

I guess it was just a matter of time before I ended up back in the hospital.  I had a good run . . . 6 months!  Everything was going well until I went into preterm labor a few weeks ago.  I was right around 27 weeks.  It was Friday, November 13th and I started having really bad pelvic pain.  After about 20min we called the doctor but couldn't wait for him to call back so my Dad and I hoped in the car and headed to the hospital.
We didn't get very far when we were pulled over by a policeman.  My dad was frantic trying to get the officer to understand our rush.  I was crying and in a lot of pain.  He immediately called an ambulance and made us wait on the side of the freeway.  I was pretty upset because I knew we would make it to the hospital faster then waiting for an ambulance.  While we were waiting my dad was getting a lecture on how he should slow down because he could get us killed.  The officer went on asking why we didn't go to a hospital that was closer or Kaiser.  Through my tears I said because Sutter Memorial is expecting us and they have the best neonatal unit if I delivered that minute.  Besides I am not part of Kaiser and I would end up paying an arm and a leg if I went there.  My dad was pretty frustrated at this point since we had been sitting there for at least 10minutes.  The officer kept reassuring us the ambulance was on the way.  Apparently policemen no longer guide drivers to the hospital so that option was out and he would not let us just drive ourselves but slower. 
Eventually the ambulance came (I wonder how much that will cost me.)  They assessed the situation and loaded me up on their rig.  Once I got to the hospital my dad arrived about 5 minutes later driving very carefully.  I was immediately hooked up to monitors that showed me contracting and the heart beats of the twins.  The on call doctor came in the room to examine me.  The pain was easing up at this point.  Just as I was thinking to myself that I should have stayed home the doctor told me I was 3cm dilated.  He said it was good I came in.  I was immediately given a shot of steroids to help the lungs of the twins develop if I delivered in the next few days.  I was also given magnesium for the twins and some other meds to help stop the contractions.  I had to stay in the hospital for at least 48hrs to be observed and then the doctors would decided what to do.
To complicate things even more, my baby shower was scheduled for Sunday.  We planned on having it early to avoid the exact situation I was in.  Thank goodness the hospital had a big room on the 7th floor and allowed me to have my baby shower right there.  This way they would be able to monitor me and I could stay in bed.  Courtney, my best friend Kacey, my sister Trina and my mother-in-law Denise began calling everyone to explain the situation and change of venue.  They managed to remember almost everyone.  Our good friend Diane Felt drove all the way to my sister's house where she was greeted by my brother-in-law who explained everything and directed her to the hospital.
It was nice to see everyone and I was happy I didn't miss my own baby shower. We got a lot of neat things.  I was surprised at how many pieces of clothing we got for boys!  Most of them were for newborns so we have to take a bunch back to the store and get bigger sizes.  Probably the most memorable piece of clothing was from the Felt family (my former bike sponsor).  They had special shirts made that had a bike and a cross on the front and Powered By God on the back.  I almost cried.  It was so perfect and so me!
Monday rolled around and the doctors came in to tell me to be prepared to camp out at the hospital because I wasn't going home any time soon.  They needed to make sure my contractions stopped and I needed to constantly be monitored.  I almost broke down with this news.  I've already spent so much time in and out of the hospital the last thing I wanted to do was spend more time.  It is one thing if this was the first time I was having to do this but it wasn't.  I just spent the last year and a half battling cancer and going through surgeries.  This was difficult for me to take but at the same time I knew the importance of being there so I sucked it up.  To make things worse there are only 4 private rooms which meant I might be getting a roommate.  There was only one T.V. and the bathroom was not handicap accessible.  It was a lot to deal with!
Wednesday morning one of the doctors came in to tell me he didn't see why I couldn't go home on complete bed rest since I had my dad to care for me.  This was great news!  I just had to come back to the hospital 2 days a week to be monitored.  I didn't care, anything was better then being couped up in a hospital room!
I was home for a week and a half.  I was able to spend Thanksgiving with my family and I did exactly as I was told.  I only got up to go to the bathroom and take a short shower every other day.  I was on meds to help keep the contractions at bay and as long as I didn't have more then 6 in 1 hour I was good to go!
The Friday after Thanksgiving, Courtney drove me to the hospital to be monitored.  We brought the dogs along so they could get out.  After about 20minutes the lady who was monitoring my contractions asked if I felt all those contractions.  I said I felt a few and asked why?  She said because I was having them every 2-3minutes.  I knew this was not good.  She immediately called my doctor who then told her to send me to labor and delivery to be evaluated.  I had to get a shot to try and stop the contractions.  After a few hours they readmitted me to the hospital on the high risk floor.  I was back in a room hoping I wouldn't get a roommate.  I knew this time there would be no going home.  I would be stuck in the hospital for the duration of my pregnancy. 
The contractions were occurring close together every morning and sometimes in the evening so I continued to get shots.  The shots make me really jittery.  My heart rate speeds up and my arms start shaking.  I then have the option to take more meds to counter that but they made me sleepy so I passed on them the second time around. 
I will be at 30 weeks this Saturday which will be a huge milestone.  I have to make it to 30 weeks.  Then the goal will be 32 weeks.  The doctors aren't sure how long I can hold these babies in but they are hopeful.  I got an ultrasound on Monday and it showed both babies over 3lbs.  Twin A is 3.1 and Twin B is 3.5.  They were surprised at how big they were for how small I still looked.  There are also plenty of fluids for the two of them to move around.  I just have to keep them from coming out to early!
I ended up getting moved to a private room sooner then I expected.  I think the nurses could tell it was going to be difficult for me to go to the bathroom with another person in the room and it was a bit of a walk to the shower.  Now I have a slightly bigger bathroom and shower right in my room.  Things are definitely looking up!  I have a view of the side of a building and not much sun but at least I have my own room!  It is the small pleasures in life that keep us going!
I have been praying every night that these babies stay in my tummy as long as possible.  Please pray they continue to grow and avoid coming out too early!
Powered By God,



Jamie--I would say that your experience with the cop surprised me--but not really. You will continue to be in my prayers. Hang in there!

Rachel Sears Casanta said...

Jamie, thinking of you and your miracle babies. Stay strong!

Kelly B. said...

Came across this blog. I hope you are doing okay and the babes are okay...
Boys are fun! SO are in for some good times!!

Tiffany said...

Hopeing everything is going good for you and your family. We are praying for you and your family. We need an update though as the time is close and we are all wondering if you had the babies